What's So Horrible About Staying Home?









Like seriously? What's so wrong with staying in? Where have we come as humans where people who stay in and do not participate in social activities for health reasons are shamed? Like wow right.

I mean I won't lie, for awhile I bought into it too. I used to think “Staying in Fu**ing Sucks” whenever I'd log on Facebook and see all these updates from my friends who were still busy living their lives while I was "stuck" inside. What I’ve learned on the journey back to truly being me though, is that you have to to learn to adjust and adapt. That’s it. Through the process of loving myself and truly finding my happiest version of myself, I just learned to adjust and adapt my perspective.


Let me explain.


I used to be so hung up on where I “went” or “wasn’t able” to go that I missed the point.


Spending time with people who matter to you or even spending time with yourself is the point. If you don’t fully understand what loving yourself completely means you won’t see it. It doesn’t matter where you go or don’t go, it’s about what you do with the time and the experiences you have.

Truly loving yourself means loving you enough to do what’s best for you, even when someone else you love is going to be pissed. It’s loving you enough to say no, and not feel bad about it because at the end of the day it is what is best for you!

But that’s not your fault! It was my fault, it’s societies fault, it’s everyone fault who continues to perpetuate this ideology that “going out is the only way to live”; that a “good time” isn’t staying in. How many memes have you seen on the Internet that joke about “being a lazy grown up” for staying inside on a Fridaynight? Too many I know. If you haven't I am sure you have now because I selected one for this blog on purpose lol.

That’s the thing, it’s not your fault. But now take the time to really appreciate what it really means to stay in when your body needs too. Think about it for a minute. Yes, you may "miss" another event, but you can still have a good time while doing what's best for you and your health. When you rest instead of going to an event, when you nap instead of going to dinner, or when you simply don’t reply to text messages to give yourself a break. All of those are things you need to do to take the best care of you, and you can do them. You do not need anyone's permission, not even mine. (Lol).

So stop apologizing, don’t feel guilty, and don’t you dare think you’re missing out on anything from staying inside when you need too or because you have too! That’s Self-Care at its finest! And the only way I know how to get too living the happiest, healthiest, best version of your life. 

I know because I did it. 


I start doing what was best for myself and being honest with myself about what that really looked like, and my life changed infinitely for the better.


When I planned out “Date Night In” #SEBMyDate18 box, I wanted to replicate as best I could an example of creating an experience even while being inside. So I wanted to create a date inside, ha ha ok because it’s February it was easier to do. But the goal is to remind all of my fellow chronic illness fighters not to place so much emphasis on whether or not they do or don’t leave the house at any point of the year. Focus on your experiences and you’ll see there’s always so much around you.

Focus on taking care of yourself, however that may look. In the end, getting comfortable with yourself and your needs sooner than later will dramatically impact your life. But the thing is, it will not make me any richer or poorer if you don’t. The decision is ultimately up to you to decide what type of life you want to live, because it’s your life.

Subscribe to Spoonie Essentials Box to receive cool self care resources and tools or don’t, but please live your life unapologetically for you!

Cheers to being the happiest, healthiest, best versions of ourselves from this day forward!

No matter how long the journey takes!


xo britt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9 Practical Ways To Support Someone w/ Chronic illness!

#SEBfamilyStory: Izzy Mejia