#SEBfamilyStory: Andrea Flores

  


 Hi, My name is Andrea, one year ago today I was diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancer.
It has been a long year of ups and downs.
 Too many new doctors and more procedures than I would want to recall.
If I had to list what was the hardest to deal with this past year, it would be self-advocacy.
Several times throughout the year, I was made to feel that I had no right to question my doctor’s treatment plan.
I had no right in the decisions, the decisions that my body was going to have to go through.
I learned to question my doctors. Not because of my mistrust.
I questioned them because the course of treatment with the best outcome; was not in my best interest.
My treatment plan was based on my insurance coverage.
Today we live in a world where doctors get paid more for the pharmaceuticals they sell. Certain procedures performed bring in a higher reimbursement for the doctor.
 This is a big factor in chemotherapy.
On more than one occasion I was advised to get surgeries that had no positive change in my illness.
I began to question everything. What was the need for this procedure? Why is this done? Or that?
I began to do extensive research before committing to any procedure.
My opinion and wants were met with dislike from doctors.
I was often said to be non-compliant and it was documented in my chart.
No matter how you are made to feel, by any doctor, 
you must, always speak up for yourself.
You must be active in your treatment plan.
You should research information about your illness.
Only you have your best interest at heart.
Only you are your own self advocate.
  
Xo Andrea Flores

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9 Practical Ways To Support Someone w/ Chronic illness!

#SEBfamilyStory: Izzy Mejia