What Do You Know About Zen Garden Therapy?

by: Britt Renee', Owner #SEB


Okay. Okay. Okay. OKAY!

Look. I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm making a bad decision. Something I shouldn't do. Something I always tell other people NOT to do: I'm writing this blog in the midst of what you could call a heightened emotional state.

I'm not exactly pissed off, and neither am I perversely sad. But I'm definitely annoyed. And being annoyed gets my writing gears going, and makes me want to rant. In the interest of not being a total "negative nancy", I will do my best to keep this from becoming a rant, but I make no promises.

Cool? Cool.


Spoonie Essentials DIY Project Ideas (Google.com)


So. Here's the thing. I hate flakiness. I really can't stand it. It's one of the worst qualities in the world--for me, flaky people fall somewhere between people who don't think puppy pictures are adorable, and those annoying couples who make JOINT social media profiles. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

*sigh* Do Not Rant, Do Not Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant. lol okay, I'm done.

So really flaky people do annoy me, like a lot as you can tell. But for the most part, in 2018 I want to try and be better. Not for any particular reason other than trying to be the best most happiest and healthiest version of myself that I can be. While I cannot promise anything, when thinking of "celebrating ourselves" by doing the little things to take better care of ourselves I was overcome with a deep desire to emphasize mindfulness. 

Instead of allowing my blood pressure to rise and my "not-a-nice-human" vocabulary to increase, I opted to try "Zen Garden Therapy" when I find myself getting a tad (read a lot lol) bit worked up. I'll admit I thought it was stupid at first, then I tried it. Drawing circles in the sand is helping me refocus my thoughts from annoyance, distraction, anger, restlessness, sadness--pretty much whatever negative I'm feeling at the time back to the tasks and present sense. 

I can't say it will totally work for you, but January's Spoonie Essentials #SEBYOU18 Box features a DIY kit so you  can try tapping into your own inner bliss through the healing essence of nature for yourself.

Spoonie Essentials DIY Project Ideas (Google.com)



The Inspiration For the Project: 

Zen Garden Therapy or “Karesansui” the Japanese name of Zen Garden, translates to dry mountain and water garden. The main components of a Zen Garden are stones and gravel, with plants—like succulents— and water being the optional components. 

The Japanese practice of “Zen” is to be mindful. For us with chronic illness and even healthy people, garden therapy is the perfect way to bring calmness and mindfulness into your day to help us live a more patient and stress free life. 

Zen Gardens may have begun in Japan, but Spoonie Essentials wants to help you make your very own to enjoy indoors since we don't always get out much! The garden represents a small, simple version of a scene in nature that may help to calm your mind and ease tension. 

Spoonie Essentials DIY Project Ideas (DIY.com)


Whether you use the supplies #SEB provided and or include things of your own, the key is to create a garden that is customized to YOUR meaning of “Zen”. It’s a very personal thing, harmony. Find your garden happy place in your mind, because that’s exactly where you want to go when creating your garden project! 

I've read that the best way to maximize the power of Zen Garden Therapy is to keep it near you in a place that you can actively use it like a desk top or bedside table. 

The Goal of January's #SEBYOU18 DIY Project:

So how I see it from the research (read google searching) I've done, the sand you can comb and stones you can rearrange have a calming, soothing and meditative effect on your mind and ultimately can help promote overall wellness leading to a happier, healthier you! Will it work? If you believe it can, it will. Being more aware of yourself, your needs, your wants, YOU; doesn't really seem to have many down sides from where I'm sitting. But let me know in your reviews of the box and comments on the blog what you thought of the project or even what you think about Zen Gardens.


Spoonie Essentials #SEBYOU18 DIY Project Materials



The Materials Included in #SEBYOU18 Box: 

1) Black or White Sand 
2) Multi-colored Stone Pebbles 
3) 3/4 inch Bamboo stick 
4) Mini Glass Terrarium (may be used with live succulents if desired)  
*Not Included but suggested: Essential oils, moss, or succulents


Step-by-step Instructions: 

  1. Open plastic wrap and place materials out on a flat surface in front of you. 
  2. Next, take a deep breath in, and deep breath out to clear your mind. 
  3. Now close your eyes and imagine peace.... and tranquility.......
  4. Open your eyes.
  5. Continue to visualize this calming tranquil peace and begin to either pour the sand into the terrarium or place stones first. The goal is to do what feels right to YOU. 
  6. Keeping what YOU imagined in mind, place the different sizes and color stones atop or below the sand in a way that keeps that feeling resonating. 
  7. Once you've arranged the sand and stones to your liking, you can either stop here or....
  8. Use the bamboo stick to draw various patterns that promote calming and peace either regularly or just once.

Bonus tips: 

  • To engage your other senses, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to give you a calming aroma, which helps you to concentrate while you rake or draw patterns on the sand. 
  • This will help give you a relaxing ambiance.
  • Also try adding some jojoba oil to give a wet look to the sand, it also helps to keep the pattern you draw on the sand for a longer time.
  • Adding a plant, most commonly used are succulents, air plants or mosses, will give a living touch to your mini zen garden.


Psssst.... Don't Miss out on Next Month's DIY Project, there'e one in every box! 

Subscribe Now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9 Practical Ways To Support Someone w/ Chronic illness!

#SEBfamilyStory: Izzy Mejia