Tragedy to Triumph: The Spoonie Essentials Box 1st Year Story!








There’s nothing I’ll ever be able to say that clearly articulates almost dying. Nothing. But what I can say is for the rest of my entire life I’ll be grateful to Dr. Farukhi at Redlands Hospital. The hard part after almost dying isn’t the beating death thing, it’s the living in the aftermath that’s hard. I didn’t know how I was going to rebuild my life. Hell I didn’t even know how I was going to walk again. But at some point in time over that turmoil I promised myself I wasn’t going to give up, I would not under any circumstances surrender.

Since surving almost two years ago now, my life has dramatically changed. Not just physically from my new “health maintaining” habits but my ability to appreciate life and roll with, instead of against its punches. I had no idea back then that a friend I would meet while attending graduate school at Pepperdine would inspire me to try and change the world from my bed. 

When AB gave me that very thoughtful and endearing token of affection she unknowingly motivated me to change my tragedy into my triumph. Spoonie Essentials Box was birthed through one souls act of kindness and my deep desire to replicate that experience for others. 

It wasn’t a get rich quick scheme or something I ever planned on creating. While in my heart I dreamed of a monthly “pick me up” package I never imagine Spoonie Essentials would be the community of support, visibility, and validation that it is now. I had no idea I’d be inspired by the loads of people I’d meet. That they would push me to keep going on days when life felt impossible because they looked forward to receiving my packages. 

I never dreamt I’d meet one of my best friends from online communities we created and she’d live half way around the world. Or that my boyfriend would need to sponsor me personally to keep my business afloat. I naively had no idea how much work it really took to design, implement, pack, fulfill, and ship so many boxes. Really how damn expensive it would be either lol. 

This has probably been one of the hardest years of my life but it has also been one of the best years in personal growth and development. Oh have I learned so much. I’ve met so many amazing people. I’ve been touched by so many stories. But the truth is I started #SpoonieEssentialsBox but there are so many people I owe a debt of gratitude for surviving the first year in business. 

To my friends, like AB, who brought me care packages in the hospital that inspired a #chronicillnesscarepackage service. To my family & close friends who helped get the idea from #iphonenotes to actual concept (Frederica Bush & Eddie Daniels, my first major donors lol). KayJay for being my very first subscriber. 

To Marie, Becca, Nisa, Maria, Jennie, Kerri, Ashley, & Hannah my very first #brandambassadors. To every single brand who has partnered with me for contest, boxes, and spreading awareness. To WeGoHealth for recognizing the community #SEB created. 

To Buzzfeed for featuring the #BeMySpoonie box (s/o ladyhill 💋). To TheMightySite for first featuring us on their subscription services for #chronicillness. To Julie from ChronicBlogs & Darlene from SuitsHeelsCurves for our first reviews. To Pepperdine school of public Policy faculty & staff for being such a great support system. To my girl, my right hand, my Tracie. To my best friend Natalie TheInchargeables & our community partnership.  My best friends Kerri & General tha_general for all the late night talk therapy lol. To my rock, my heart, my sister I love you Mickey. 

& most of all to EVERY SINGLE #SEBFAMILY MEMBER, you inspired Spoonie Essentials, you fund the vision, you give me life, you spread love, you help others, you.... you are everything that’s right with the world!

Thank you!!! 

Sincerely, 
Brittani Renee’ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9 Practical Ways To Support Someone w/ Chronic illness!

#SEBfamilyStory: Izzy Mejia